1
Pending approvalOriginal post by Sarah Hedgecock on Defamer

Is a Reboot in the Works for ABC's Lost?

Is a Reboot in the Works for ABC's Lost?

Everyone's favorite smoke-monster-polar-bear-what-even-is-this television-show may be getting a reboot, if you choose to believe stray comments from some of its producers.

ABC still owns the rights to Lost, and with the network's dismal ratings as of late, a reboot might not look so bad to execs. Rumors of the show's return started rumbling last month, when co-creator Damon Lindelof told E! News, "I think there will be more Lost." Adding to the rumor were executive producer Carlton Cuse's comments to Entertainment Weekly last Friday in which he basically pitched the show to ABC all over again:

I think it's likely that at some point, ABC will want to reboot Lost because it's a valuable franchise, and there will be some young, bright writer or writers who will come up with a great idea that the network responds to, and that'll be great. I do not begrudge ABC the opportunity to do something more with the franchise.

Sadly, we won't be getting any closure to the original show's many mysteries (seriously, polar bears?) any time soon. Both producers, and co-creator J.J. Abrams, said that they are personally done telling their weird-ass story and that it's a new staff or nothing. "We put so much energy into ending it," Lindelof said, "that to put energy into kickstarting it again" would be a bit much.

Will the next plane-crash-on-an-island show be more coherent? Do showrunners secretly wish they'd actually explained half the things they put on screen? Not according to Cuse: "I feel like there's not a moment where I certainly say, 'Oh, hey, I wish we had told this story' or 'I regret that we didn't get to do this or that,'" he told EW.

Look forward to Lost 2.0, featuring a whole new batch of writers who won't regret any of their glorious failures!

[H/T Uproxx, image via AP]

1 Reply