Vanity Fair, an airport magazine that throws an Oscar party with a "famously tight guest list," published an article bragging about how much booze was consumed / money was wasted at their Sunday night tent party. They also sent out an email press blast ("OSCAR PARTY BY THE NUMBERS") to encourage everyone to witness—and presumably write about—the excess. And so we shall.
So how much booze can Hollywood's elite consume?
Here is the Vanity Fair list, BY THE NUMBERS:
- Champagne Henriot: 596 bottles
- Casa Dragones tequila: 36 bottles
- Grey Goose vodka: 203 bottles
- Stella Artois: 240 bottles
- Storm Wines: 276 bottles
- My Essential Red: 96 bottles
- Happy Canyon Vineyards wine: 240 bottles
- Voss Artesian Water from Norway: 1,284 bottles (800 ml)
While much of the alcohol was probably donated and / or purchased at a steep discount, how much would it cost for an average boozehound blogger in Los Angeles to throw such a party?
Doing my own questionable math that relies heavily on the BevMo website and other sketchy online booze retailers, here is a rough estimate:
- Champagne Henriot: 596 bottles ($25/bottle) = $12,400
- Casa Dragones tequila: 36 bottles ($275/bottle) = $9,900
- Grey Goose vodka: 203 bottles ($30/bottle) = $6,090
- Stella Artois: 240 bottles ($18/12 bottles) = $360
- Storm Wines: 276 bottles ($30/bottle) = $8,280
- My Essential Red: 96 bottles ($25/bottle) = $2,400
- Happy Canyon Vineyards wine: 240 bottles ($36/bottle) = $8,640
- Voss Artesian Water from Norway: 1,284 bottles (800 ml) ($3/bottle) = $3,852
TOTAL (before tax): $51,922
This number also doesn't include the chocolate Oscars, engraved Zippo lighters, meals prepared by French Laundry chef Thomas Keller, coffee from Nespresso, and treats from the Bouchon Bakery available for each guest. Shitty lighters and free Nespresso? Total value: priceless.
After a dinner filled with truffle lasagna and Casa Dragones, guests were also treated to an In-N-Out truck where, inspired by their good pal Henriot, they ordered:
- Hamburgers: 27
- Cheeseburgers: 865
- Double-Double burgers: 515
- Grilled-cheese sandwiches: 17
- Bags of chips: 567
- Drinks: 577
Also expensive, no doubt, but much more delicious than $4,000 worth of water.
[Image via AP]