Diva memoirs have a reputation for being light on revelations, but Grace Jones is no ordinary diva, and her upcoming book I’ll Never Write My Memoirs is no ordinary book. It’s frank regarding the sex and drugs the legendary singer/actor has indulged in, and unapologetically opinionated, but sometimes less than forthcoming about seemingly simple details (Jones spends several pages discussing why she will not discuss her age).
The book concludes with Jones printing her tour rider, a sign of unabashed divadom. The rider isn’t as outrageous as some I’ve seen (though the bit about the oysters is hilarious), but these sorts of demands and the luxurious lifestyle they imply are never not fascinating.
We’ve been given permission by the book’s publisher, Simon & Schuster, to run the rider in full ahead of the book’s September 29 publication. Enjoy.
RIDER—PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
THIS RIDER IS HEREBY MADE PART OF THE ACCOMPANYING PERFORMANCE AGREEMENT FOR GRACE JONES. PURCHASER AGREES TO MEET THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS AT PURCHASER’S SOLE EXPENSE.
1. All contractual commitments supersede this agreement and the ARTIST has the right to cancel or move a performance up to 7 days prior to event to fulfill these commitments.
2. SECURITY—PURCHASER agrees to provide adequate security to ensure the safety of all performing ARTISTS, auxiliary personnel, instruments, equipment, costumes, and personal belongings, before, during and after the performance. Security personnel shall keep the stage free of any persons other than those directly involved with the performance. Security personnel shall be stationed outside dressing rooms from ARTIST arrival at venue, continuously through ARTIST’S departure and especially when ARTIST is on stage. A member of the security staff will be provided to meet and escort ARTIST upon arrival and lead ARTIST into the venue and dressing room. Under no circumstance will ARTIST be led through the public prior to the show.
3. DRESSING ROOMS—PURCHASER agrees to provide dressing rooms: including one (1) large dressing room for the sole use of ARTIST. The keys are to be given to Artist’s Road Manager upon the time of arrival at venue. No person other than ARTIST and Artist’s entourage shall have access to the dressing room without the prior permission of Artist’s Road Manager. If possible, dressing room should be located in No Smoking area of venue. Dressing room will be comfortable and clean with heating or air-conditioning as appropriate to climate and will be furnished with comfortable chairs and couches, table, lined trash can. Dressing room will be located within easy access of hot and cold running water and private toilet (not public restroom).
GRACE’s dressing rooms shall be equipped with:
Dressing Room 1:
6 Bottles of Louis Roederer Cristal Champagne
3 Bottles of French Vintage red wine (e.g. St Emilion, Medoc, Bordeaux)
3 Bottles of French Vintage white wine (e.g. Sancerre, Pouilly Fuisse)
2 Dozen Findeclare or Colchester Oysters on ice (unopened)—(Grace does her own shucking.)
2 Sashimi and Sushi platters for 8 people
6 Fresh lemons
1 Bottle of Tabasco sauce
1 Fresh fruit platter for 8 people
6 Bottles of Coca Cola
12 Bottles of still and sparkling water
12 Bottles of fresh fruit juices
Wine glasses, champagne flutes, tumblers (all glass, no plastic)
Cutlery and sharp knife
1 Oyster knife
1 Make up mirror (no neon strip lighting, only opaque white bulbs)
Fresh towels, clothes hangers, clothes rail
3-4 Bunches of flowers—prefer lilys and orchids
Sofa and arm chairs
Wardrobe room (next to Grace’s dressing room):
1 Iron and ironing board
1 Clothes rail
1 Full length mirror
Dressing Room 2:
2 Cases of decent lager beer, chilled
1 Case of still water
1 Case of sparkling water
Large selection of carbonated soft drinks
Large selection of crisps and snack foods
Phone line, desks and chairs
Free high speed internet access via wireless / Ethernet connection
2 Cases of still water (for stage and crew)
Selection of chocolate / sweets including Minstrels, Maltesers
Catering must also be provided on site, at regular meal times, at all times
Grace’s band or crew are on site. Buffet breakfast and cooked lunch and dinner where appropriate, with vegetarian options available.
**Purchaser agrees to pick up bar tab for Artist and entourage**
4. PRODUCTION—PURCHASER agrees to provide a professional sound system with sufficient speaker and amplification systems to produce top quality house and on-stage sound without distortion or feedback. System to include:
5. GROUND TRANSPORTATION—PURCHASER agrees to provide first class ground transportation for Artist’s entourage to and from airport, hotel, and venue from Artist’s arrival through departure. Transportation must be a Stretch Limousine to be used at GRACE’s discretion.
6. MERCHANDISING—ARTIST shall have the right but not the obligation to sell souvenir programs, posters, and other merchandise and to retain 100% of the receipts. ARTIST reserves the right to confiscate part or all of any unauthorized “bootleg” merchandise being sold in or around the venue.
7. GUEST LIST: Grace is entitled to a minimum 20 person guest list w/tickets available for her to distribute.
8. WORKMAN’S COMPENSATION—ALL PURCHASER employees will be covered by Workman’s Compensation and Disability Insurance. No employees of PURCHASER will look to ARTIST for any type of compensation or coverage.
9. AIR TRAVEL—Purchaser is responsible for the airline arrangements for members of the group (Windows and Aisles are mandatory). Flights must be fully flexible.
Grace’s flight info is as follows:
2 x First Class roundtrip tickets for Grace and travelling companion (These must be fully flexible tickets)
5 x Economy roundtrip for travel party (1 sound engineer, 2 dressers, 1 musician, 1 manager)
*** Airport VIP Service for Grace and her companion must be provided: on departure (curbside-airside) + on arrival (airside-curbside) for ALL flights relating to the event.***
**PROMOTER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL EXCESS LUGGAGE EXPENSES**
10. HOTEL—Purchaser is responsible for providing artist with rooming at five star hotel. Hotel must have 24 hour room service. Rooming requirements as follows:
Six (6) Hotel rooms for three nights (the night of the show and the night before and after the show)
Grace’s room is to be a presidential suite, which MUST include:
(2) Large separate rooms
(24) HR Room Service
Full Spa facilities (steam room)
*Management’s approval of the hotel is required before booking*
11. PER DIEM to be provided upon arrival at Hotel. They are as follows:
€300 (EURO) a day for Grace Jones
€150 (EURO) a day for Crew
NO ONE IS ALLOWED ON STAGE DURING ANY PERFORMANCE, UNLESS PERMITTED OR INTRODUCED BY ROAD MANAGER!
[Image via Getty]